Changes Ahead for Once Upon a Storybook
The Struggle Is Real
Many of you, knowing our story of financial struggle, continue to ask how we are doing. As you know, our angel investor, Erin, came in over a year ago and added energy, ideas, and dollars to Once Upon a Storybook, which has allowed us to stay open. Alas, the summer has been a challenge, and we continue to struggle. To continue to offer you a unique bookstore focused on the love of children's literature and a place to bring your young ones to encourage them to explore their world trhough reading, we will be making some operational changes starting in January 2018.
Sneak Peek at the Changes Ahead
- Once Upon A Storybook store hours will be reduced. Our new hours will be M-Th 10-2; Fri 10-6; Sat 10-5.
- Our Frequent Buyer Program threshold will increase to $200—so every $200 you spend, you will receive a $10 credit on your next purchase.
- Our Educator Program will be modified to 20% off books only.
- Our in-store inventory will be more tailored. We will continue to carry classic children’s titles and the newest, greatest titles. We will focus on award-winners and top sellers.
What's Not Changing
We still believe what we are doing is valuable and important to the community. We want to stay open. We sincerely believe that cutting these costs will help our bottom line enough that it will enable us to continue to provide storytimes and weekly author and special events.
Here are some things that will NOT change!
- We will continue to offer storytimes (in fact we'll even be increasing storytime offerings!)
- We will continue to offer book clubs for pre-K to 6th grade, and possibly adding an adult book club and a kids’ poetry club.
- You can still place special orders and buy audio books through Libro.fm
- You can still order books through us online and have them shipped right to your door, and we hope you do!
- We will be very happy to schedule private events outside of our store hours. Private Milk & Cookies Storytime? We can do that! Girl Scout meetings? We love ‘em! Our space will still be available, and we are happy to schedule events when the store is closed.
- Miss Susie will also be available by appointment for charter school customers, librarians, teachers, homeschooling moms, or anyone who needs some special one-on-one time.
How You Can Help
The most obvious answer is by regularly patronizing our lovely little shop when you are looking for quality children's books!
- Don't let us be your little secret, tell your friends about us.
- Share our posts on social media to help us spread the word.
- Encourage friends and family, even those not nearby, to use our Online ordering system that's available 24 hours a day, and also has access to books we don't carry in-store, including adult titles and best sellers.
- Come see us on Small Business Saturday (see this month's newsletter for all the fun events and great specials we'll be offering) and start your holiday shopping at Once Upon A Storybook.
Our mission at Once Upon a Storybook is to provide the best of classic and contemporary literature and a unique experience when you are in the store—those values have not changed. We are so thankful for the incredible support you friends have given us. Thank you for making us feel valued and important to you.
Change is yucky! (Miss Susie has always said, “Change is a four-letter word.”) Nevertheless we find that these changes to our business model are necessary for us to continue. Even as we reduce our hours in January, we will still have our online bookstore open for you whenever you need it. To help us return to expanded store hours and keep the doors open, we ask that you be intentional about shopping with us. When we are open, we want you to visit us!
Please help Once Upon a Storybook stay open!!! We want your kids to grow up here! And we want to help you find the perfect books for them. Thank you for your continued support.